Have questions about the YA Scavenger Hunt? Ask in THESE comments—this will enable us to keep everything streamlined and together.
How to Participate:
- Get together the prizes: one signed book to be mailed to a grand prize winner, and exclusive content for all participants in the hunt (see below for more information on what entails exclusive content).
- Fill out the Author Information Form (which will be posted on the main page) before the submission deadline. Note: this is open 6-8 weeks prior to each hunt. Submissions will close 2 weeks prior to each hunt.
- At least ONE WEEK before the hunt, you will be given information to post on your website. This is, essentially, the exclusive content & bio of another author as well as the clue for the readers.
- Feel free to use the template provided on this website as a way to format your post.
- Schedule your post to go live at the appointed time. Keep in mind that all times are Pacific Standard Time.
- You should be available either by email or phone for two hours prior to and after posting the hunt information in the event of incorrect links, mishaps, etc.
- When the winner is announced, send a signed copy of your book to the winner.
- After the hunt is over, take down the exclusive content you shared on your blog.
What is Exclusive Content?
This can be anything, as long as it's something YOUR readers will want, and cannot get anywhere else. This could be (but is not limited to):
- Short story set in your book's world
- A password to a protected page on your website
- A cover/title/plot summary reveal
- Deleted scene from your book
What about Extra Contests?
Extra contests are totally optional, but many people like to include an individual giveaway with their post. It could be another signed copy of your book for participants who comment on the post on your website, or swag, or anything else.
The only rules about this are simple: you need to coordinate your own extra contest if you're doing one. If you're adding it to the post that you're hosting, then just add all the information on the individual contest to the bottom of the post. If you want to include an extra giveaway with the post about you and your book that is being hosted by another author, be polite and contact that author well ahead of time to make sure it is something that he or she doesn't mind helping you coordinate.
Whichever case that may be, if you want to do an individual contest as an add-on to your post, please let us know the winner early so we can announce it with the grand prize winners on the YASH website.
How to get a Direct URL of a Photograph:
This is important—I direct code the website using html, and if you don't give me a direct URL of a photograph, then your picture and book cover WILL NOT be in any of the promotional materials, which basically defeats a huge part of the marketing potential of the YASH.
- Go to a website that has the picture you want on it.
- Right-click on the picture. (Mac Users: Control-Click on the picture)
- Select "Open Image in a New Tab" (Or, depending on your browser: "Open Image in a New Window")
- This should open a new tab or window that ONLY shows that ONE image and NOTHING ELSE on the screen.
- Copy the web address that shows up on the screen that only shows your picture. This web address should end in either .jpg, .gif, or .png. If it does not end in one of those three sets of letters, you are doing it wrong.
- If you have questions let me know in the comments here.
- Example of something that is NOT a direct URL of a photograph: http://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/10345937-shades-of-earth <--notice that it doesn't end with .jpg
- Example of something that IS a direct URL of a photograph: http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1341580785l/10345937.jpg <—notice that this DOES end with .jpg
- Important note: we're going to hot-link the photographs—this means I'll be using those direct links to create the content on our webpages. That also means that you should only give me links that you own—something from your own website, for example.